We are winding down from a weekend FULL of activities. Friday after school I took 7 tween to teenage girls downtown to go Halloween costume shopping. Now, mind you, there is very limited space in Singapore and shops are very small. Halloween is also not fully recognized here, so not many places to choose from. It was quite an experience. We ended up with Brit and friends as hippies, Lisel as Minnie Mouse, a genie, a Survivor, and Percy Jackson's friend (can't remember her name, Anna something). All in all it was a pretty successful trip. Especially since we concluded it with a 6pm run through McDonalds drive-thru, yes there are a few here in Singapore. The order included hot fudge sundaes all around and some fries to share. It was a fun way to spoil the dinner's their mom's and helpers and prepared. I, of course was happy with my large Coke light seeing that Spencer had texted me earlier in the day requesting a night out. The funny thing is I had told him a few days prior how nice it would be if he made a plan for a date. We got the girls settled at home, which took a bit of coordinating between Lis and Brit, and we headed out. After about 1 1/2 hrs in the car, we FINALLY found a parking place. We checked out several restaraunts and even sat down at a Tepanyaki place, but Spen didn't think it would be good, so we left! Nothing beats our good ole Utah Tepanyaki's, to heck with the real Japanese stuff! By this time it was 8:30. Being the early eater that I am, I was beginning to feel a bit bothered to say the least! We finally settled at a Dim Sum place. (If you don't know what this is, you'll just have to visit us and find out). Dinner was good, but not completely satisfying so we headed out for a treat. We had heard there was an actual Red Mango near where we were so we searched for that to no avail. Realizing we were now late to the movie Spen had planned for us to go to, we headed to the theatre and settled for some more Coke Light and popcorn. You can choose sweet or salty, we get a mix and it's really good. We missed the first few minutes of the movie, walked in to a theatre smelling of a mixture of urine and mildew and settled into our seats. The movie was cheesy and way too clean. No romance at all. A great movie for my girls, it's right up their ally. It was You Again. The food was alright, the entertainment poor, but the company was the BEST. I love my husband!!! I decided that me always planning our dates maybe isn't such a bad thing afterall.
 |
| ward party |
 |
| ward party |
 |
Estelle's 1st late night!
For some strange reason we stayed up til 3 in the morning. Spen doing photo stuff, reading, whatever....but up and at'em Sat morning because the day was full! Brit's soccer game, pumpkin shopping at the school, which means 3 medium sized pumpkins, some ghords and $93 later we leave feeling completely hosed. Spen at Brit's softball tryouts, me taking a quick trip to an out of the way market for items to bring to ward party with 3 little ones in toe, while Lisel is left home to make her bd invites. Luckily she is a crafty Steven's and she created these darling invitations with no help from her mother. We then went to an Australian themed ward party with Aussie food, games and the whole bit. During the party, I helped a dear friend through a major breakdown. I was able to be completely sympathetic due to some of the inadequacies and mental feelings I have had in my life. We concluded the evening with Estelle's very first late night!!!! She informed me that she has never had a friend birthday party or a late night. She and Anslie came home from school Friday with big plans. Anslie and her friend would be the helpers. They would give Stel and her friends ideas of things to do, but not make them do anything they didn't want too. Being that she is 6, I decided maybe it was time, at least for the late night that is. She had 3 friends over while Anslie and her friend entertained them. Painted nails, games, snacks. It worked out great and they were all safely walked home by 9:30. Stel was so happy. After tucking the little ones in and kissing their sweet, soft, sleeping faces, I ended upstairs with the 3 older girls. The four of us snuggled in the pushed together twin beds (lis has been sleeping in the crack between Ans and Brit's bed's this week b/c a book she is reading is making her not want to sleep alone, she sounds like her mom) and we talked and giggled and I tickled their backs and arms the way my mom used to. I went to leave and Brit said, "Mom, it's 11:57, just wait 3 more minutes so you can stay til midnight." I stayed a bit longer, grateful that they wanted me there. Even though I was so tired, it was one of those priceless moments I wouldn't have traded for sleep. And that's saying alot coming from me. |
Today I had to go up to Malaysia to visit a branch b/c they just got a new Primary President. Spen dropped me off at the checkpoint this morning. I was to meet up with a couple missionary that goes over regularly. I was a bit nervous about the whole trek. I didn't have the right paper filled out, stole my busride b/c I didn't scan my card and would never have made it without this sweet missionary couple. When we arrived at the church, the branch president came up to me and said, "Your speaking in Sacrament meeting today." I said, "No'" As his face dropped, my compassion kicked in and I said I could bear a testimony though. As I sat during the sacrament, I was completely overwhelmed with the love our Heavenly Father has for these sweet Malay people. I gave a brief intro. and then I was able to share that message with them. Following my remarks the high counselor got up and said he had a message for sister Stevens. He said keep going, I had 5 girls and then I finally got by boy, #6. He said that is the secret, you just have to press on. Very interesting....
I was then able to visit the Primary. My thoughts were...overwhelming, where do I begin, how much do I say, do??? I tried to let the spirit guide me. The kids did get a minor lecture from me I have to say. I talked to them about having Respect and Reverence. The sweet Primary President, a young single girl is overwhelmed with putting on a presentation. I told her I would type up an outline and email it to her and then I could come up and help her pull it off. She seemed very grateful. We then waited while the Sister missionary gave piano lessons to some of the girls in the branch. It then took about an hour to get a taxi to pick us up to take us back to the checkpoint. He took us to the wrong place and by the time I finally arrived home it was 4 pm. I was hoping for a nice nap in a quiet house after my "Latenight" with the girls Sat., but it took too long. I left at 8:30am. The trip involved, 1 car ride, 2 bus rides, 3 taxi rides., and 4 passport checks. All this time, Spen is home alone with 5 girls to feed breakfast and lunch to, get ready for church, sit with during church, and he has to do tithing after church, so the girls were on their own waiting for him after church. He also managed to get dinner in the oven before they left. Did I mention that I love my husband!!!
They arrived about 5:30 and we sat down to a dinner of roast, potatoes and carrots, green salad, fresh fruit and rolls. We enjoyed a fun evening together playing games, making bd invites, and having neighbors come over for a visit.
I am overwhelmed with: my calling, the busy week to come with visiting teaching, Lisel's bd party and Halloween, my lack of motivation and many other things, but I am so grateful for the blessings in my life. Grateful to be a mom to these girls of mine, grateful beyond belief for my truly amazing husband, and grateful for good friends in my life that are real. I am also grateful for the times I am living by the Spirit enough to be in the right place at the right time.
found you in blog land. Now I can peek on you and your adventures in singapore. Glad to hear you are all doing well. lots of love to you and your family xoxoxo
ReplyDelete