I had a special experience with my sweet daughter today...
Let me preface by saying that she did not sleep well last night. She kept coming into our room until all hours. She seemed a bit tired today, but I didn't think much of it. After ptc I had to take one daughter downtown for an eye dr. appt. I normally would have taken this time to have a one on one with her, but another daughter really wanted to come, so I agreed. The 30 minute drive wasn't too bad. She made a few little snide remarks to her sister, but nothing too out of the ordinary. Once at the dr's office, things stepped up a notch. Whispers to her that she was faking it, as she read the letters. On the way to the car, in the car and all evening the jabs continued. I kept asking nicely for them to stop. Finally, after scriptures and prayers, I heard another mean remark. I firmly sent her to my room for some quiet time. When I went in to talk to her, I first became angry. I smashed my fists together and said you are smashing your sweet little sisters spirit. Then I saw the sweet little face of the daughter I was scolding and realized I didn't want to smash her spirit. I calmed down and talked to her about how wonderful it is that she is doing so well in school and so kind to all the children, but that treating her family with kindness was even more important. We talked about the scripture we read in Alma 37 tonight. Counsel with the Lord in all doings and he will direct thy path. I told her that she could pray about the situation with her little sister and that she could receive help. She looked up at me with big tears in her eyes and told me that she was so sorry, she was just so tired today. She felt horrible. We then had an amazing prayer together that brought us both to tears. As we knelt together by my bed, holding hands, I felt a powerful Spirit help me know what to say to this sweet daughter of mine. I went through all the wonderful things about her. Her sweetness, her sensitive spirit, her healthy body, beautiful smiling eyes, her talents and abilities in school and her willingness to work hard. I felt so strongly to bless her with the gift of gratitude in her life.
Following our prayer, we went over the steps of repentance. We discussed that she needed to pray to Heavenly Father for forgiveness, ask forgiveness of her sister, and then that she needed to do everything in her power to not do it again.
I felt sincere love and remorse from her and it was a very special moment I was able to share with her. I thank Heavenly Father for helping me to have a small glimpse of His love for her.
If only I could handle all my kids episodes this way!!
No comments:
Post a Comment