I had to leave the house Sunday morning at 6:30am for stake meetings and then headed up to Malaysia to visit the branch up there. After spending most of the day away from my family, I was so happy to come home and spend the evening with them. I walked in the door to the smells of yummy home cooking and felt so grateful for a husband who is capable of getting 5 girls dressed, ready and to church and even on time! And coming home and getting dinner made. 2 of the girls have been at each other the past few days so I had felt like I needed to sit down with them and talk it out. Well, after my parent's recommendation on how great it was, and that everyone should watch it, I decided we would watch the Young Women's General Broadcast together first. So even though it's being aired here in May, we downloaded it and watched it together as a family last night. What powerful, amazing words were spoken to our young women and daughters. I felt so grateful to be a part of such an incredible program. The 3 main points that I really enjoyed were:
Sister Dalton talked about the journey that a young women's group in Alpine took from the Draper temple to the Salt Lake temple. 22 miles. They prepared and planned and had help along the way. She then described each of our girls journey to the temple, and that special day when they will be all in white, ready to make covenants with the Lord. I thought how great for the girls to look at their life like that, a journey to the temple, and how that will help them make good choices each day.
Sister Dibb told a story about a father who was going to steal corn from a neighboring field. He took his son to keep watch for him. The father looked around in all directions, and as he headed off towards the corn the boy said to his father, "Dad, you forgot to look up" What a great reminder, when we are caught up in day to day life and worries to, "LOOK UP"
Sister Dalton made a list at 12 years old of things she "Would do in her life" and things she "Wouldn't do in her life" She said it made it so easy for her when those decisions came along because she made up her mind when she was 12.
After watching the program, I took 2 of my girls into my room for a talk. Since they had been at each other the past few days I thought it was a good time because we all had the Spirit with us. We had a great talk, feelings were shared and apologies made. I realized how much better it was to handle the problem this way, than just getting mad or punishing them. They then went up and took Sister Dalton's advice by writing what they would and wouldn't do in their lives. It was after 10:30 last night before they finally stopped giggling together and went to bed. But it was so great to hear them getting along again and enjoying being together.
I really love being the mom, (most of the time), and feel grateful for the times when I am able to handle teaching moments in the right way b/c too much of the time I mess up!
Joce,
ReplyDeleteI'm downloading the YW broadcast on my Apple TV right now...
I loved your post!
I hope I can grow up to be a Mom like you someday:)
XO,
Jane