We had heard about this festival that the Hindu people take part in to show devotion to their God,
and decided to head down at midnight to see what it was all about.
I am still recovering from getting home at 3am, but it was definitely a VERY unique experience.They come to their temple in groups, with family members or friends, according to their assigned time slot to set-up and prepare their offerings. Once ready, they make a 4.5 km walk in barefeet .
 |
The majority of the people decorate their metal milk jugs with string and flowers,
"to make them look pretty", I was told,
and place them on top of their heads,
to make their trek
beginning at the
Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple
and ending at their
Sri Thendayuthapani Temple |
 |
| But apparently, the more they suffer, the more devoted they are |
 |
the men all stand around in a group and start chanting really loud,
this puts the 'devotee' into a trance. |
 |
he is then ready for his piercings.
They pay someone to come and do this for/to them |
 |
once they are finished, they leave this behind and head off on their walk.
Cleaners would quickly move in and clear out the area for the next group |
 |
many of the people walking would start collapsing, but those around
them hold them up and help them continue on |
 |
| odd that the main sponsor for this festival is a casket company? |
 |
| I could have stood and watched these groups pass by for hours |
 |
| this was a stop along the way where they offered food and drinks to those passing by |
 |
| the smell of insense burning was so strong in the temple area |
 |
I stopped to talk to this guy.
He was waiting for his 4am time slot.
Peircings would be done all around his body so that
they would be able to hold the weight of this
I asked him, "why?"
he says, "I made a vow"
I ask, "are you nervous?"
"yes"
"do you do this every year?"
he says, "many times, but not for 4 years"
...and so he waits... |
 |
this boy looked so young and didn't look like he was in pain at all
just a daze |
 |
| This guy was just outside the temple grounds |
 |
She was his #1 cheerleader.
watching the women be pierced was the hardest for me
You could see their physical pain much more
one woman we watched started to pass out, and her husband, with their baby in his arms,
had to hold her up. |
 |
| these 2 little girls chanted and sang to him the whole time |
 |
here he is getting his tongue done, to finish up the job
His 'piercer' would put each stick in his own mouth before piercing him with it |
 |
| this is the beginning of their walk |
 |
street view with all the lights
Mindy, Julie and I, with Spen as our photographer and chaperone |
I had so many different thoughts and emotions going on in my head;
from fascination, intrique, admiration for their devotion, disgust, sorrow and sympathy,
but mostly it just made me grateful for the knowledge that I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment