We had just sold our home and planned to begin building right away. The school year was about over so we were to spend 5 weeks with Steve and Ali, nearby school, and then move to mom and dad's while we built and they were on their mission. As usual, amidst the chaos of the 3 moves within a very short period, I thought I had a plan. Then...Spen gets a call about going to Singapore, again!!! This is a lot for anyone to take. While we were still not sure if we were staying or going, I was taking Britta to a meeting at her (maybe, maybe not) new school one night, and she broke down to me. It was too much for her. It broke my heart to see her so sad and distraught and to not be able to give her an answer of where we would be, or what school she would be going to. But as we talked, and cried, (I was a little distraught myself :o)
I was inspired to tell her this...
I cannot tell you right now where we will be living or what school you will be going to, but I can tell you one thing for sure, Our family will be where Heavenly Father wants us to be. Dad and I are praying, fasting and going to the temple in order to make the right choices for our family. And I promise you that wherever we end up will be the right place for us.
It was one of those rare moments for me where I did not doubt. I am such a second guesser :) But I felt such power in these words. I know that great blessings come from our obedience to the simple principles of the gospel and I feel so grateful that I could tell my daughter that day, with a sure knowledge, that our family would be where we were supposed to be.
"In many of the uncertainties and challenges we encounter in our lives, God requires us to do our best, to act and not be acted upon (see 2 Nephi 2:26), and to trust in Him. We may not see angels, hear heavenly voices, or receive overwhelming spiritual impressions. We frequently may press forward hoping and praying—but without absolute assurance—that we are acting in accordance with God’s will. But as we honor our covenants and keep the commandments, as we strive ever more consistently to do good and to become better, we can walk with the confidence that God will guide our steps. And we can speak with the assurance that God will inspire our utterances. This is in part the meaning of the scripture that declares, “Then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God” (D&C 121:45).
-Elder David A. Bednar
No comments:
Post a Comment