"It's the SIMPLE things in life that count."

Marriage, family, friends...relationships.
Peace, Hope, Faith...LOVE.

But there is a lot of laundry, dishes, tears & laughter, messes, homework,
hair to fix, teaching, learning, stress and fun along the way!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Surgery is behind me!



Well, the surgery is behind me and it was a success.  The doctor was able to get all of the bad disc out, and the new one in.  I think the anticipation may have been worse than  the actual event.  Anxiety can sure get the best of us.  They separated me from Spen and wheeled me into OR without any prep.  So I laid there for over 30 minutes crying as people buzzed all around me wheeling in carts and making preparations.  The sweet anesthesiologist and nurses wiped my eyes, covered my freezing shivering body with blankets, and told me everything was going to be ok, that they would be there for me.  Then she said, "whatever you are thinking about when you go to sleep will be what you are thinking about when you wake up."  Immediately my beautiful daughters popped into my head and within a few minutes I was gone.  3 hours later I woke up to a lot of pain, but good ole morphine took care of that in a hurry.  That stuff is amazing.  The nurses were so kind to me, my fears of being in a hospital in Asia were quickly dispelled.  And that's saying a lot knowing how I feel about hospitals!
scary sight.  I think I was hooked up to every thing you can possibly be hooked up too!
Heart monitors, cathedar, oxygen, hot looking neck brace, IV. blood pressure, pulse...the works.
The girls were a bit traumatized when they came to visit, go figure!  There eyes were bugging out of their heads.  They weren't even supposed to be allowed in because it was a high dependency unit, but when my nice nurse found out I had 5 daughters, she let them all come see me.  It may have been awful for them, but it sure made my day being able to see them all and get snuggles and hugs and kisses.
Roo has saved the day!  It has been so great having her here,.  She has made this so much easier on all of us.  I love knowing that the girls are being so well taken care of by someone they love and who loves them.  And it is so fun to have time during the day while the girls are at school to just be with her and here absolutely darling, sweet, precious baby.  They are the most low maintenance travelers ever!
Spen is pretty in to these surgery pics, this is before the disc is inserted



this is the disc being implanted

my cute hubby who loves me even when I look like this! He came and snuggled with me in my bed.  "In sickness and in health" takes on a whole new meaning.

They day after I came home from the hospital, I had to travel back downtown to have another neck x-ray to check the disc placement and get a bandage change.  Last thing I wanted to do!  A nice lady downtown was also giving away some baby stuff that I knew Devri's baby would love so we had to stop by to pick it up.  We took a taxi since I am in no condition to drive and boy were we a sight trying to hail a cab.  Eventually one took pity on us and picked us up.  It was way too long of a day and I am ready to park it all day tomorrow and get some r & r.
I am completely overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and kindness I have received. Flowers, treats, dinners, notes, text messages, emails, prayers, phone calls, visits, babysitting.  Many from people who have only known me a few short months.  This world is so full of good, loving people and I thank Heavenly Father for the amazing thoughtfulness that has been shown to me!  Now lets just hope and pray for a speedy recovery!

9 comments:

  1. Joc, I have posted on the nortonclan blogspot and sent you an email so i am sure you will get my message. I can not get anyone to answer your phone. Last i heard you were still in the hospital so I was happy to see all these posts. I was so sick with anxiety for you, I can't imaginge how it felt for you! Isn't it amazing how many people love us! And it is shown in so many ways especially when we need it the most. People come out of the woodworks and it seems amazing. I am now on the phone with you. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Joc! I just marvel at you. I am so glad the surgery is behind you. I can only imagine the worry you had about it. I am so glad Dev is there to help. You are in our prayers and we wish you a very speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joce you look and sound like your doing great!! I am so glad! You have been in all our prayers and thoughts!! You are so awesome and great example to us all!! I wish you were closer because I would love to be able to help you and your darling family! Love and miss you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the tender mercies of a loving Father in Heaven who surrounds us with "angels" in our time of need. We love you and are so grateful you have received answers to prayers and Priesthood blessings. Love Nan & Pop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Joce - you will hate me, but I didn't know you had surgery!! I am so sorry I didn't hear about it sooner. What a scary time for you and I can't believe those pictures with the disc being put in! I am so glad things went well, that the surgery was a success and I hope that everything starts to heal for you quickly. Sure love you. thank you for blogging so I can find out what you are up to since I am obviously not filled in on this end :) give the girls a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooooooo glad you are doing okay Joce! I am anxious to hear all about it. Is there a phone number that I can call you at? If so, just shoot me an email w/the number. Love you and am so glad you are being well taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Jocelyn, what an experience! You look beautiful even with all the hospital tubes! I am so glad that everything was successful. Keep us posted on your recovery. So glad your sister is there to be with your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea! I'm so sorry, and so happy that people are taking good care of you! Miss and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joce, so glad to hear all went well, not sure what the surgery was for, but it sounds super scary. Anxiety about upcoming surgery would get the best of me too. YOu are amazing and so strong and positive. I will need to email you and get the details. So glad that you are home recovering. Sending you lots of love.xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete